I'm very nervous making this tutorial since I'm no where as good as those masters who made tutorials online, but since some of my fellow deviants have asked for it I guess I should give it a try. mercy, please
Sorry this tutorial is very simple (so is the image, no much color/composition/depth involved...) and you probably have known everything in it already, I never made any tutorial before and I probably am not better than you...
This is a step-by-step breakdown of the Malthael fanart I just did, it's a pretty sketchy speedpainting which cost me ~2hrs or a bit less. Basically this is how I usually do characters/portraits, just I may spend more time in details for more finished work.
I used 2 brushes for 95+% of this speedpainting, one texture brush and one solid round brush for details.
I work on single layer most of the time but it is more of a personal preference.
1. keep your brush strokes big
2. work on small canvas (i mean zoom out) in early stages
2. combine lasso and brush strokes for a less 'repetitive' look
3. don't go into details before you set up the whole composition
4. keep flipping canvas and checking value
Feel free to leave a comment if you have any question
and I would much appreciate it if you can give some critiques!